Loss Prevention Tips for Laptop Computers
General Laptop Suggestions
- Adhere to University and departmental procedures for obtaining permission to remove laptops (and other computer equipment) from facilities.
- Secure your laptop in a locked cabinet or drawer when not in use.
- Do not leave your laptop unattended.
- Use only University-approved, licensed software on your laptop.
- Do not allow non-employees to access your laptop.
- Make sure each laptop has a University tag affixed to it.
- University employees are responsible for laptops in their residence or personal vehicles when working remotely.
Password Management Follow C&IT's recommendations and policies
- Follow C&IT's recommendations and best practices for password safety
Procedures When Traveling
- Do not leave your laptop unattended in an extremely hot or cold automobile for an extended period of time.
- Do not leave your laptop (or other equipment) visible inside the vehicle. Keep in locked trunk, if possible, or hidden in vehicle if trunk not available.
- Never leave your laptop unattended in an airport. Keep your laptop with you at all times.
- Use caution when processing your laptop through security. Check with C&IT regarding best practices for laptops in airports, security scanners, etc.
- Do not check your laptop as baggage.