Fire Safety Regulation During Holiday Season
Every holiday season, your full cooperation is requested in complying with the following safety precautions for Christmas trees and/or other holiday decorations, as compiled by the Office of Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs
- No natural tree, wreath, roping or similar decorations may be used in any University owned building.
- Artificial trees/plants labeled as FLAME RETARDANT, by the manufacturer, are permitted.
- Metallic trees may be used without restrictions, provided no electric lights or wiring are placed on or in contact with any part of the tree.
- Artificial or metallic trees shall be located so they do not obstruct any exits, corridors and aisle ways.
- Tree decorations must be of the non-combustible type such as metal, glass, etc.
- The use of combustible and/or lightweight type material, i.e., paper, for decorative purposes is expressly prohibited.
- The use of open flame devices for lighting or decorative enhancement is prohibited.
- Consult your building's evacuation plan to determine evacuation routes and exits.
If lighting devices are used, they must bear the Underwriters Laboratories (U/L) approval rating label and be turned off at the end of normal business hours.