Hot Work Permit
Procedures for permits
- All hot work permits for operations by university personnel shall be issued by Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal or an Authorized Hot Work Representatives. Hot work permits for maintenance contractors shall be issued by Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal.
- Hot work activities shall be permitted in "Designated Areas", after an on-site inspection by the Authorized Hot Work Representatives or Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal.
- The hot work permit shall be issued in three parts: Part one (hard copy) shall be maintained at the site attached to each piece of gas or electric powered equipment. The second part (white) shall be kept by the Authorized Hot Work Representatives, and the third part (yellow) shall be forwarded to the Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal after issuance.
- Copies of hot work permits forwarded to Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs shall be entered in a Hot Work Log.
- Upon completion of the hot work activities the operator shall sign part one of the permit verifying that the work area is fire safe. The permit shall be forwarded to Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal after completion of work.
- Hot work permits shall be valid for the time period noted on the form. Valid time periods are:
Daily: Valid from 7a-5p. If the hot work activities extends to another shift or overtime to complete an "emergency situation", the Authorized Hot Work Representatives shall have the discretion to extend time period.
Extended: Valid for a period up to 6 mos. College of Education, College of Science, College of Engineering, College of Fine, Performing & Communication Arts shall be issued permit by their respective Authorized Hot Work Representatives who shall have the responsibility to re-inspect site and re-issue permits at the end of that time period.
Maintenance contractors shall be issued permits by Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal valid for length of time to complete job or any time therein. The Enterprise Risk Management Fire Marshal shall perform periodic visits to the work site to ensure compliance with safety requirement.
Authorized Hot Work Representatives and Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs Fire Marshal along with the hot work operator/supervisor shall conduct a safety inspection of the work area prior to issuance of permit. Such inspections will incorporate lock out/tag out concerns, confined space entry concern, atmosphere testing (gas) concerns, etc. and shall comply with WSU Policy and Procedures. All concerns with respect to atmosphere testing shall be forwarded to Office of Environmental Health & Safety.