Bomb Threats/Suspicious Packages
Telephone and bomb threats can be received by any person at any time. Mail bombs or bomb threats may be received by a number of means including standard mail and package delivery. If you receive or discover a suspicious package or foreign device, DO NOT TOUCH IT, TAMPER WITH IT, OR MOVE IT. IMMEDIATELY CALL WSU POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 577-2222.
If you receive a written threat or parcel or are suspicious of a mailing and unable to verify the contents with the addressee or sender:
- Remain calm and notify WSU Police Department at 577-2222.
- Do not touch or move the article.
- Do not attempt to open the article.
- Save all packaging materials.
- Isolate the article and evacuate the immediate area.
- Do not place article in water or in a confined space such as a desk drawer.
- Do not use a portable radio within 100' of the article.
- Write down everything you remember about the letter or parcel.
If you receive a telephone bomb threat:
- Remain calm.
- Keep caller on the line as long as possible, listening carefully, noting the time of the call and the telephone number it came in on.
- Ask the caller the following questions:
- Where is the bomb?
- When will it explode?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What is the caller's name?
- Are you a student or employee?
- Write down any pertinent information such as background noises, gender of caller, accents, and patterns of speech.
- Notify WSU Police Department at 577-2222 after call has concluded.